Title: Accountant FLSA STATUS: Exempt
Grade: 6 Step: 1
Job Summary: Responsible for processing of accounts payable and payroll checks for the Diocese of El Paso and related entities and the posting of insurance premiums for the Diocese of El Paso Insurance Fund. Responsible for providing clerical support to the Finance Office of the Diocese.
Supervisor: Finance Officer and Diocesan Accounting Manager
Duties & Responsibilities:
1. Prepares payroll and payroll tax deposits as required, federal payroll tax report (for 941) on a quarterly basis, and other annual federal reports as necessary to comply with Federal Regulations, i.e., W-2, W-3, 941, 1099 and 1096.
2. Performs data processing into Shelby accounting system and other data processing systems.
3. Enters and maintains employee information into the Shelby system for Payroll purposes.
4. Sorts payroll checks, puts in envelopes, and delivers them to Human Resources department for distribution and all payroll related documents are filed in a secure place.
5. Reviews Employee health Insurance Fund invoices and receipts from parishes and adjustments.
6. Assist the Accounting manager in the coordination of day to day operations of the Finance Office and in answering questions regarding the budgets of the Diocesan Ministries and entities.
7. During diocesan and related corporations’ audits, provides documentation as requested from auditors and prepares supporting ledger reports.
8. Sorts accounts payable checks and distributes them to ministry directors or secretaries.
9. Assists with maintenance of the filing systems, photo copying or duplicating of materials as requested, trains others how to use office/clerical equipment.
10. Responsible for accurately maintaining expense records.
11. Participates in staff retreats and continuing education.
12. Responsible for promoting a spirit of cooperation and trust between the Diocesan Ministry and the Finance Office.
13. Performs other duties as assigned.
1. Fully charge bookkeeping experience preferably with Accounting Principles knowledge. College experience will be considered.
2. Knowledge, skills and experience in personal computers, word processing and accounting applications.
3. Ability to use word processing and spreadsheet software, i.e. Word, Excel.
4. Bilingual in English and Spanish preferred.
1. Regular schedule of hours, Monday thru Friday, 9:00A.m. to 5:00 p.m., with one hour lunch not to exceed 35 hours per week.
2. Prior management approval on overtime is required.
Disclaimer Clause: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work required of this position. This is not meant to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required.